Thursday, August 2, 2012

Cooking With Crisco!

It's been quite some time since my last post, and a lot has happened since then! Dr. B came out to assess Finn's locking stifle situation. After taking some X-rays (which didn't show anything concerning!), it was determined that he is probably suffering from luxation of the patella. From what I can gather and now understand from tons of online research, that basically means his knee cap doesn't work correctly. Dr. B decided to perform a procedure called blistering. She injected a solution of 2% iodine in an almond oil base within and around the middle patellar ligament to create an inflammatory reaction. Normally we horse owners never EVER want inflammation, but in this case, the inflammation creates scarring of the ligaments which in turn shortens them and helps pull the patella back into its normal position. Which mostly means his knee cap will hopefully work properly and his stifles won't lock. I wasn't too excited to have this procedure done because I didn't love the idea of creating scar tissue in his stifle and causing soreness/pain, but I was running low on options at this point. So Dr. B drugged up the Finn man (which was horrific and hilarious at the same time) and the procedure took all of 10 minutes.

I gave him the rest of the day off, and as per Dr. B's instructions, started him back in work the next day. Finn's been in training with JK 5 days/week, and I ride on Saturday and Sunday, and let me tell you, HE IS DOING SO MUCH BETTER! We are cookin with Crisco now, baby!


2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just started reading your blog -- it's uncanny how your story reminds me of the mare I was training a year ago. She went through this weird change and her behavior under saddle got worse and worse ultimately ending with her rearing near vertical twice (with another rider) and it was because of locking stifles. Turns out she had been started and stopped 4 times over the years because she would get to a state like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for reading! It's definitely been a tough year, but things are finally starting to sort themselves out. Do you have a blog? I'd love to follow you as well!

      Delete

Katie and Kwik LOVE comments! :)