Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Long Road Ahead

Kwik and I had another dressage lesson with P on Sunday. It was one of those lessons that leaves you completely humbled, slightly overwhelmed, and hella determined. We started out asking Kwik to work over his back and into the connection while keeping energy and forwardness in the gait. I felt like we mostly just meandered in circles. I wasn't feeling any connection, I certainly wasn't feeling any forwardness in the walk, and Kwik lost focus a couple of times when horses came and went from the trails. We tried a little trot work. P really got on to me about my position, which is great-I desperately need to get my basics back. I still ride tipped forward with my butt out of the saddle, my leg creeps too far back, and I need more bend in my elbows so my hands can maintain an elastic connection. I think a lot of this is the newness of the partnership. Hopefully in another couple of months, Kwik and I will know each other a little better, we'll be more settled into a rhythm, and maybe even start to gel.

Then P hopped on! She spent a good 15 minutes introducing the idea of connection, and the light bulb went off toward the end. They had some really nice moments! She talked me through correcting some of his "things" (throwing his shoulder to the outside while overbending to the inside), and then I got back on. I noticed a difference right away- he was focused, the walk was more energetic, and I could feel moments of elasticity when I asked. I even noticed I was sitting taller and deeper in my saddle, and we had improved rhythm and balance at the trot. In the grand scheme of things, I'm sure, it was a very minute improvement, but it felt like a world of difference to me.

Here were my thoughts after the ride:

1) I have completely lost any and all of whatever dressage basics I used to have.

2) Kwik has no basics, but he is willing to learn and is starting to understand the meaning of connection. Also, at this point, I probably don't have the experience/skills to correctly bring him along on my own. We need lots of lessons and training rides.

3) Both him and I have an an incredible amount of work to do, and I'm feeling a bit inadequate.

4) Above feelings of inadequacy will get us nowhere, and I'm determined to take lessons and work extremely hard.

So there you have it. Am I feeling a bit overfaced? Yup. Am I hella determined? You bet!

2 comments:

  1. Attitude is everything... Or thats what my dad always tells me. You guys will get there. Sounds like you have a good plan of action :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Your progress with Hue is definitely an inspiration! :-)

      Delete

Katie and Kwik LOVE comments! :)