Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Where Have All the Drugs Gone?

Okay that sounds bad, but seriously, where have they gone?!? I put Kwik on Pentosan for several reasons:

1. My vet uses it A LOT and has had A LOT of success with it

2. It's cheaper than Adequan

3. Adequan's manufacturing facility is closed for renovations to address FDA observations (what exactly did the FDA observe?!?!) and to meet enhanced quality standards. This means there is an Adequan shortage and I couldn't get it right now even if I wanted it.

I called my vet's office to pay my bill and asked about ordering another bottle of Pentosan since I'm about 2 doses away from empty, and apparently there is now a Pentosan shortage as well. I'm thinking many people couldn't get their Adequan and decided to switch over to Pentosan. I'm waiting to hear more about this new shortage from my vet, but if I can't get Pentosan (which really seems to be working for Kwik), I'll have to think about trying something else in the meantime. Sigh..

It's good to be back home. Adam and I had a really good time in Florida, but I was ready by the end to get back to my puppies and my pony! I imagined a glorious reunion, but Kwik was eating dinner when I arrived and nothing would divert his attention. I decided to put him on the longe just in case he was a wild child after his 10 day vacay, but it was hot and he was lazy. I did manage to get him to trot a few circles with some energy, and then I asked him to canter. He crow hopped for a few strides, cantered normally for a few strides, and then broke to a trot. Same deal the other direction. Son of a B! While I didn't think the hock injections, Pentosan, and time off would magically cure him, I was hoping to see some improvement at the canter. I have a few thoughts on this:

1. He hadn't been worked for 10 days- don't worry about it.

2. He's been overcompensating for his ouchy hocks and has somehow jacked up his back as a result. Maybe he's due for a chiro sesh.

3. He's still not balanced enough and doesn't have the proper muscling for canter work (although he was going great at the canter in April/May...). More work on the ground on the longe and in side reins to develop balance and muscle will help him figure himself out at the canter.

4. Maybe a combination of all of the above?

I just don't know! On the bright side, he was great on our little trail ride yesterday!



Cantering is hard!

2 comments:

  1. I bet the adequin peeps are stealing your drugs! Hope you find a solution! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ask your vet about Enhance, its another product that rivals pentosan.

    http://www.bionicheanimalhealth.com/product-details.php?cat=6k4b7a0q2h7o&species=

    ReplyDelete

Katie and Kwik LOVE comments! :)