Thursday, December 19, 2013

One Horse

It's been an interesting couple of weeks to say the least. First, I successfully defended my thesis, and I now have my MPH. I can't tell you how great it feels to not have that hanging over my head!

Kwik had his mid-point checkup last Thursday, and there was some improvement at the trot. He was still crow-hopping and carrying on like a nutter at the canter. It's hard to say how much of that is pain and how much is being out of work for 4 months. Either way, it was clear that if he's sound enough to put back into work in the spring, I will have a helluva training project on my hands. So much so that I was afraid to even think about getting on him.

After a very long and honest talk with my vet, it came down to this: people like me get one horse. Sure, there are some of us working adult ammies that have their own land or have managed to find a boarding situation that allows them to support two ponies, but the majority of us are doing everything we can to have even one horse. Horses, just like dogs and cats, become part of the family, and we love them as such. But unlike dogs and cats, they also have a job to do, and they are too expensive to not earn their keep. When a horse can't do his job any longer, it's time to find him a new job they can do. With Kwik, I felt like I fixed what I could, but it's just not clear he'll be able to do the job I want him to do.

I decided to find Kwik a new home with someone that could give him a job he is physically capable of doing. I put the word out on Saturday, and by Sunday I dropped him off at his new hom. Kwik is now living with my good friend, S. He's going to hang out in the pasture until spring, and then S will gradually put him back to light work and see how it goes. This certainly wasn't a decision I made lightly, and there were lots of tears involved. But it was the right decision for both of us. I was pouring so much money and hope into something that just wasn't going to happen, and I was teetering on the edge of becomming disenchanted with horses. He'll still be a part of my life: I've been invited to visit and ride him, if sound enough, any time I like. I feel relief, and any time you feel relief after making a decision, you've made the right one. I certainly don't regret any of my choices. I've learned some valuable lessons (some the hard way), and I will be infinately more educated when the time comes again to own another horse.

In the meantime, I've decided to look for a lower-level packer to lease. A has already hooked me up with an exciting prospect, and I am scheduled to try him out after the holidays. I'm looking forward to becoming the best rider I can possibly be, and more importantly, rediscovering the joy of ridining. Bring on 2014!

Merry Christmas and a very happy New Year!!!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very good decision. :-) Life is too short to not being having fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I wish I had a magic want to wave and make him sound, but I don't.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on defending your thesis, and I'm sorry about Kwik. I'm know it's sad, but really sounds like the best decision for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And it is sad. It's going to be hard walking in the barn and not seeing him, but I know he's enjoying himself out in the pasture.

      Delete
  3. That is too bad about Kwik. Hopefully he lives out his life happy and pain free at his new home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tough decision to make but it sonics like you'll both be happier. I'm excited to see what the year holds for you :)

    ReplyDelete

Katie and Kwik LOVE comments! :)