Monday, August 5, 2013

Crow Hopping Chronicles: Update 2

Today was by far the most educational veterinary experience I've ever had. I tried my best to keep mental note of everything I learned today, but I don't have the notes from the exam yet. Hopefully I remember everything accurately.

When New Vet (NV) arrived, I gave her Kwik's back story, and she asked if I had noticed any inconsistencies in his race record. I pulled his record from equibase, and he kept a fairly consistent 3 week schedule from August 2005-September 2009. Then he had a nine month break (September 2009-June 2010), raced twice more in July, and retired thereafter. It's possible he sustained an injury in September 2009.

I sent NV the notes from his past two lameness evaluations and chiropractic adjustments, and we went straight to flexing the hock/stifle. He flexed extremely sore in his right stifle, and we went out to the round pen to watch him at the trot and canter. Kwik obviously didn't want to leave anything on the table, and he made sure NV got the memo that something wasn't right. The crow hopping, bucking, and kicking out was the worst it has ever been.

We decided to x-ray the stifle next (I got to hold the cassette!), and while NV set up the equipment, she gave me a great overview of the joint's composition and what exactly you can see on a radiograph. I had no idea how complex the stifle joint is, and apparently radiographs are only capable of assessing about 30% of the structure since they do not detect soft tissue. Ultrasound and arthroscopy must be used to assess the soft tissue structures. Surpisingly, Kwik's stifle x-rays did not show anything concerning.

NV decided to block him since the radiographs were clean, and we saw significant improvement after trotting him out. We headed back to the round pen to see what we had at the canter, and in NV's words, "he went from bucking rodeo bronc to children's hunter!" He did not kick out, he did not crow hop, he did not buck, and he picked up the correct lead every time in both directions. The difference was absolutely incredible.

Sooo... it's likely Kwik has some sort of soft tissue injury (worst case scenario) or inflammation in the stifle joint, and ultrasound is the next step. NV has an ultrasound but thinks it would be better to take advantage of the mega fancy equipment at the UGA Veterinary Hospital. The plan is to haul up to Athens in the next couple of days to have the ultrasound, and if necessary, the arthroscopy performed and then go from there.

 I'm trying to be optimistic and not worry too too much until we have a diagnosis. Thanks so so so much for all of the well wishes yesterday- it really does make things a little easier having some cheerleaders on the sideline!

5 comments:

  1. Wowza. Glad that NV was able to at least get you started in the right direction. I hope that it is not worst case and that Kwik is back in business in no time. Either way you're a good horse mom for getting him looked at and taking him to the fancy hospital for diagnosis. This post reminds me why I need to get my act together and insure Hue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only ever heard good things about the vets at UGA. Actually, one of the techs I used to work with helped train the baby vets there. And, in small animal vet med, we sent a ton of patients there over the years.

    Good luck! How near to Athens are you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too far at all- it's about a 45 min. haul. UGA is great- they took such good care of Kwik back in March when he had his close encounter with the fence!

      Delete
  3. The good news is that often times soft tissue is healed by lots of time, so that's good! Glad you got a firm answer. Your vet sounds great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really hoping it will be something that rest can heal!

      Delete

Katie and Kwik LOVE comments! :)