Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Back in the Swing of Things

It has been hard getting back into the swing of things after Thanksgiving, but I finally made it out to the barn on Saturday. I wanted to free lunge Kwik for a bit in the round pen since he hadn't been ridden in almost two weeks, but when I got out to the arena the round pen was gone (already moved to the new farm). I went ahead and got on, and that ride was definitely not our best. Kwik was looky and full of energy, and I couldn't get my body to do what I wanted it to do at all. We've also hit a point where I *think* Kwik is wanting to stretch down and out, but I really can't tell if its true stretch (and I'm not strong enough to sit back and ride him forward) or he's figured out he can yank the reins out of my hands. This month may be a bust for regular lessons, but I'll get that going again as soon as we make the move in January. Weekly lessons will help up both trememdously.

Our Sunday ride was wonderful! Kwik was much more focused and felt great. Our routine of late has been direction changes- big loopy serpentines and changes of direction across the diagonal. Kwik loves to be crooked, and this type of work really gets him loosy goosy. I definitely rode better than the previous day, and we even got some nice canter work in. As we were finishing up, H and A came out to ride with us, so I took the saddle off and hopped on bareback. We just walked around to cool out, but it was a great first bareback ride!

B, who does night check, sent me this Kwik pic. Apparently he sleeps like this with his head propped up every night, and he grunts and nickers in his sleep <3


1 comment:

Katie and Kwik LOVE comments! :)