Friday, December 21, 2012

Nippy

Who doesn't like to feed their horse his favorite treats? Kwik would probably do just about anything for a peppermint. He can hear the crinkle of a peppermint wrapper from a mile away, and once he sees you with one, his eyes light up like Christmas, his ears perk straight up, and he makes what I like to call the "GIMME!" face. It's adorable. But the minute I give him a treat, he proceeds to nose and nip around my hands and pockets for the duration of my time with him. He's never outright tried to bite me, but I certainly don't want him to learn how. I know owners who don't allow hand feeding for this very reason. Placing treats in his feed tub after our ride seems to help, but where's the fun in that? Is there a right and wrong way to treat your horse? Is there a way to treat your horse and discourage nippy behavior at the same time? Help! :-)

On another note, we are all set to move to the new barn on the 29th. I can't wait to get Kwik settled into his new home and back to work. I feel like we're just on pause until then, but forget the visions of sugar plum fairies. I've got the promise of trail rides, dressage lessons, and jumping sweet jumps dancing in my head!


Happy Holidays!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Katie and Kwik LOVE comments! :)