Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Bring on 2013

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's goals for 2013, and it really got me thinking about what I'd like to accomplish this year with Kwik.

1. My number one goal for this year is to really get to know Kwik and lay the foundation for the bond I hope to create with him in the years to come. I'm definitely smitten, but I haven't spent near as much time with him in the four months I've had him as I'd like. Moving to Ashland will allow me to ride more often, and more importantly, spend quality with him. I can't wait!

2. I want to trail ride! Ashland has over 400 acres of beautiful trails, and I mean to explore every inch of them. By the end of the year, I hope Kwik will be a solid trail horse.

3. I want to be BRAVE. By the end of this year, I don't want to be nervous about cantering and galloping Kwik out in the open. He's never ever given me a reason to be anxious, but my bad experiences with Finn have really shaken my confidence. Trust isn't built over night, and my goal is to really trust Kwik and for him to trust me. I WILL be a completely different rider in 2014.

4. I want to get my dressage on. I met a boarder at Ashland's Christmas party (J) that owns a green OTTB mare. She had nothing but wonderful things to say about her dressage coach, P, and she invited me to watch her lesson the following weekend. I met and chatted with P, told her all about Kwik, and even got to watch her ride! P is a lovely rider, a very effective teacher, and overall just a very nice person. My first lesson is scheduled for February 3, and I'm really looking forward to working with her.

5. Taking a page from Klein and Mocha's mom over at The Jumping Percheron, I want to work our way through Ingrid and Reiner Klimke's Cavaletti: Schooling of Horse and Rider Over Ground Rails. I got the book from Santa for Christmas, and I think this kind of work will do wonders for the both of us.



6. I'll continue with Kwik's training over fences. Each time we jump, I'm amazed that this is all new to him. His honesty and willingness to please are what makes this horse so special. I'm hoping we can accomplish some 2' courses this year and begin schooling some of the small questions on our cross country course.

7. I want to ride in one of Ashland's small schooling shows. A combined test sometime this fall/winter will be our pie in the sky goal for this year.


Let's see how we do!

2 comments:

  1. I have that book, so many great exercises!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to work through it- especially the free jumping. I've never done that before, so it will definitely be a learning experience!

      Delete

Katie and Kwik LOVE comments! :)