Friday, April 19, 2013

No Rain Dance

I think my pets don't want me to go on vacation this year. Or buy new tires. Or fix my broken taillight. Adam and I have a 6 year old Corgi/Chow mix named Harpo. Harpo has always had a little hitch in his giddy-up. If he played hard one day, he'd have some trouble getting around the next day. The day afterwards, he'd be back to chasing squirrels outside. Last month, he just couldn't walk by himself. Period. Vet #1 put him on Rimadyl for two weeks. No improvement. Vet #2 thought it might be Lyme and wanted to do a $260 PCR test. I do PCR every day of my life- it shouldn't cost THAT much. So we moved on to Vet #3. After looking at x-rays from Vet #2 and a very thorough physical examination, Vet #3 concluded his mysterious and sudden lameness is most likely due to some sort of immune-induced polyarthritis. Poor Harpo underwent a joint tap (deja-vu, no?) and more blood work, and we should know more today. I really really hope we can figure out what's going on with our sweet boy.

After a very stressful afternoon at the vet, I desperately needed some pony time. Kwik has this longeing thing figured out- voice cues are almost where I want them to be, and he's starting to really stretch down and out for the side reins when I use them. He was also very good under saddle. I didn't do any canter work since I wasn't riding my absolute best, but our trot work was overall, pretty good. It was a beautiful evening, so I took my sweet time. I gave Kwik a bath and we went for a hand graze in the setting sun. I just love those quiet moments at the barn- just you, your horse, and the spring evening sounds. Just what I needed!

World's dinkiest forelock




A is supposed to ride Kwik today, but the sky is looking pretty ominous. Do a little No Rain Dance with me, will ya? Happy Friday!

6 comments:

  1. I hope they find out whats going on with Harpo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope everything is figured out for harpo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Animals are not very good about financial planning for vacation and car/home repair, that is for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm doing the No Rain Dance with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha. We could have a forelock competition. I've been growing Cuna's out for a year and I can *almost* put it under his browband.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SB, you're on! First horse to grow a decent forelock wins!

    ReplyDelete

Katie and Kwik LOVE comments! :)