Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Pilates for Equestrians

Kwik and I have been trail riding up a storm, and things are going really really well. I'm happy with where we're at and where we're going! Unfortunately the hot temps and humidity have arrived along with the bugs. Poor Kwik's left eye was a tad swollen when I saw him yesterday, and he was swishing and stomping to no avail. We did a little bit of work on the longe since I've let that slide of late. Work in side reins on the longe really does help him, but I honestly hate doing it. It's a ginormous pain to put all the gear on, take it all off, remember to bring it all inside afterwards, etc. Oh well, it's effective, so we need to do it at least once or twice a week. Afterwards we went on a short little trail ride (all by our onesies!) and called it a day. I bathed him and fly sprayed him within an inch of his life. Maybe that will give him 5 minutes of peace. Anyone have luck with any of the bug-off supplements this year?

On to equestrian fitness! Every year my organization does a "Healthiest CIO Challenge." The Challenge is a three-week fitness and nutrition program designed to help you develop healthy habits and foster a little friendly competition between national centers. To complete the challenge, you need to log 150 hours of physical activity (riding is on the list of activities!) and meet a new nutrition goal each week. This year I'm participating! I'm not really a gym person, but I wanted to find something I could do on my non-riding days that will get me in better riding shape (strengthen my core, increase balance and flexibility). Not surprisingly, Pilates is the first thing that pops up on a Google search for improving rider fitness. According to Balanced Body, Pilates increases body awareness and improves balance, flexibility, and strength, which in turn helps improve rider posture (enter core strength for a more secure, independent seat) and refine rider aids. Sounds like a winner to me! My local yoga/Pilates studio offers a 30 day unlimited trial membership for $34, so I'm going to sign up on Monday and give Pilates (and yoga!) a try. I'm also going to be prepared with Advil, a hot bubble bath, and Bengay... anything to become a better rider, right?!

If anyone is interested in jumping on the bandwagon with me, Kerrits (gotta love them!) has a great series of Pilates for Equestrians videos on YouTube.


2 comments:

  1. Pilates is awesome. I took classes with a cool instructor. I could explain to her what muscles hurt and she's help me with exercises to work through it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I'm excited to give it a try!

      Delete

Katie and Kwik LOVE comments! :)