Thursday, May 30, 2013

Trail Riding Ann Style

Overall, Kwik's been great on all of the trail rides we've been on recently. We did have one failed attempt on Thursday when we rode up to the schooling show dressage arenas with PL and Drifter for some flat work and a short trail ride. It was a beautiful day, and I think many of the Ashland members had the same idea. There were several trailers parked at the schooling show grounds and horses riding in the arenas. Kwik was a little rattled by all of the excitement, and I just didn't feel like falling off. So I hopped down, walked him all the way back to the barn and put him to work in the barn arena where he proceeded to be a perfect gentleman. I also had to hop down and lead him for a bit on Saturday when we went out with J and Sierra, but I got back on and finished the ride. J and I even swapped horses towards the end and I got to ride sweet, dainty Sierra! What a treat!

When I talked with Ann about the plan for our Sunday lesson, she offered to haul her horse to Ashland so we could hit the trails together. I firmly believe trail riding requires all of the skills you've been practicing in the arena, and you can learn to be a good trail rider. Here's how the ride went:

Me: Here comes a downhill slope. We have problems with these- Kwik likes to barrel down and then I feel like I have no control.

Ann: Ride downhill in what I like to call 4-wheel-drive. Sink deep into your heels, sit deep and back into your seat, and really think about being fluid through your arms and elbows. Ask him to come onto the bit and use his back end to walk straight down the hill. Eventually when he feels you shift your weight like this, he will know to engage his hind end.

Kwik: These flies are really annoying. Maybe if I jig and try to trot they will go away.

Ann: When you stop being in charge sit deep and ask him to come onto the bit with low hands that are a bit wider and very giving. Really use those elbows and say "we're just going to calmly walk on the bit, just like we do in the arena." You want to be in charge, but you don't want to be tense. When he starts to settle back in, reward with a longer rein and less contact. After a minute or so of good work, test him by asking him to come onto the bit. Then reward again with a longer rein. This is like your reset button.

Me: Here comes an uphill slope. We have problems at these too. Kwik likes to charge up and again, I feel like I have no control.

Ann: Ride uphill slopes by putting your calf on, lean forward and rise slightly out of your seat, push your hands into his neck at the breastplate strap, and ask him to come onto the bit and again, use his hind end.

Kwik: Do I hear chickens? Is that a house up ahead with strange people?!

Ann: When you come upon something new and potentially exciting, talk in the direction of the new and exciting thing.

Ann proceeds to call a greeting to the neighbors. They talk for a minute about their plans for the holiday weekend.

Kwik: Holy crap, we're walking in the cross country field. I'm supposed to be galloping right? Let's at least trot up this hill!

Me: Maybe I should get off...

Ann: Put your calf on, lean forward, come slightly out of your saddle, and press your hands into his neck. Play with the rein a bit and ask him to come onto the bit.

I'm really not sure why or how this worked, but it did. I think Kwik was just daring me to get tense and take a death grip on the reins. Surprise! I couldn't do that if my hands were pressed into his neck.

We walked around the show arenas, stopped to chat with people and horses parked there, and then made our way back home. I got some more practice with up and downhill slopes on the way. I can't tell you how helpful that lesson was, and I'm hoping we can do a few more lessons like this throughout the summer. Hopefully by the end of the summer I'll have learned to ride any sort of shenanigans he can think to throw my way. I'm so lucky to have a trainer like Ann that is willing to teach me to ride my horse not only in the arena but on the trails too!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Katie and Kwik LOVE comments! :)